Wednesday 5 December 2012

Random Topic Generator - Getting your first job

Writer's block: Use a random topic generator and just type away about the topic for 20 minutes :)

Getting your first job

As soon as I finished high school I went crazy looking for jobs, I felt like I was an adult now and thought it'd be really cool to start earning some dough! Sad thing is after all my efforts only one place got back to me... the happy part? It was an interesting and cool first job, nothing retail or fast food, you know the usual first jobs. I was a Sales Consultant at Travelex, a currency exchange company worldwide. I was fortunate to be positioned at the International Airport Branch, it was so amazing dealing with such diverse people and cultures. My roles consisted of obviously exchanging foreign currencies to Australian and vice versa, selling cash passports, sending money overseas via Western Union, selling travel insurance, just to name a few. Everyday was so different. I remember that one day I made a mistake where I accidently 'bought' as opposed to 'sold' American currency to an American man who had no use of Australian dollars anymore. He was super happy at the time but I didn't pick it up till much later when I was counting the till, it just didn't add up and my supervisor, Maria was so supportive and helped me with documenting it for records. Of course I had many happy memories too, like having a very cheerful group of immediate team members and having a super cute supervisor, he had the most adorable smile! LOL. Overall, I'd say it provided me with the best learning experience even if I was only there for 2 months. I had to resign in the end as university came to start, unfortunately 3am wake ups for 5am starts were just no feasible anymore! 


Keep smiling, 
Jackie xx

No comments:

Post a Comment